Another… Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People

Tickets Go On Sale on Monday 13th October @ 9am

Buy from Ticket Zone

Buy from Ticketmaster

Doors – 6:30 PM

Tickets – £25-£30

Last year, Robin Ince made the mistake of appearing on ITV’s London Talking to debate “Is Britain becoming more secular?” By the time he got to the studio, the subject had changed to “Who is taking the Christ out of Christmas?”
Suffice to say, he got quite cross during the barrage of lies from radio shock jocks and misinformed fundamentalists. Robin tried to make it clear that, as an atheist, he wasn’t against Christmas as a time for gluttony and reflection; he was just against the journalists and manipulated fundamentalists shouting about winterval and other myths. This was beyond Stephen Green of Christian Voice’s comprehension, so he kept muttering, “I don’t think he does want Christmas blah blah blah”.

Well, to prove that he does enjoy this season of laziness, alcoholism and regret, he is presenting a rational celebration of the Christmas season in the guise of Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People. Rather than talking of Jesus’s birth, acclaimed science author Simon Singh will talk about the birth of the universe. Instead of talking about Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh, Bad Science Columnist Ben Goldacre will talk of alternative medicine and charlatans, while Josie Long will talk about the wonder of the stars.

So far the confirmed speakers are Stewart Lee, Mark Thomas, Ricky Gervais, Dara O’ Briain, Tim Minchin, Justin Edwards, Chris Addison, Ben Goldacre, Simon Singh, Josie Long, Jo Neary and Richard Dawkins.

Music will be provided by the fabulous Martin White Orchestra (22 piece), Malcolm Middleton (ex of Arab Strap and creator of 4 remarkable LPs or albums if you wish), Jarvis Cocker, Luke Haines, Gavin Osborn, Phil Jeays, Mark Thomas may well be bringing his harmonium, Darren Hayman.

The evening will also include projections of classic archive footage of Carl Sagan and Richard Feynman.

Robin Ince will host the night.

It’s not just for agnostics and atheists, hopefully it will be a night celebrating the wonder of the universe so as long as you’re not a crazed fundamentalist you can enjoy it. If you are a crazed fundamentalist, then please come and hold a placard up outside and shout like a halfwit.

Please check the New Humanist website on the 24th October for more details of confirmed acts.

More info nicked from here: http://www.rickygervais.com/thissideofthetruth.php

23 thoughts on “Another… Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People

• Thursday, 9 October, 2008 at 11:35

I guess Ricky’s announcement sort of makes redundant the whole special guest announcement. Unless there’s more..?! Maybe Mr Izzard could be persuaded…

• Pingback:The Skeptic: Blog » Blog Archive » Eight Lessons and Carols for Godless People

• Thursday, 9 October, 2008 at 17:36

Oh man, You wont believe the situation I’m in. I desperatly need a ticket to this event, when are they on sale? I have a ticket for the 19th December show but it clashes with a Biology exam so I can’t go. Ironic huh?

• Thursday, 9 October, 2008 at 22:41

Jamie,
    You have exams at 7pm on a Friday? That must suck!

There was a comment somewhere on one of these entries asking for any free tickets for the 19th. Sam Moon, I think.

• Friday, 10 October, 2008 at 7:40

More specifically, it cuts into my travelling time. My Exam finishes at 4pm and I have to get a train from Plymouth to London. I expect I’d arrive about 9pm.

If I get a ticket for sunday then I’d be happy to sell my ticket for the 19th at face value, except we don’t actually have tickets we have codes. How would I go about selling that? just forward the e-mail to the buyer? wont they need some form of ID upon collection?

I won’t be selling until I know I have the alternative night because at the moment I’m considering ditching my exam in favor of the show.

• Friday, 10 October, 2008 at 18:47

Does anyone know if Ricky will be at all three shows or just the Hammersmith one? And Jamie, don’t ditch your exam,it’s way too important, and I’m sure there’s someone out there who will help you out. Good luck with both!

• Saturday, 11 October, 2008 at 14:01

Ricky has confirmed – on his blog – that he’ll be there for all three shows. Robin is none to pleased that he leaked it though.

• Sunday, 12 October, 2008 at 17:41

That’s great news, thanks Sid.

• Monday, 13 October, 2008 at 9:37

Awesome! Front Row Center baby!!! Now all I need is a backstage pass. Robin????

Thanks for organising this Robin and anyone else involved. At least now I can do my exam and travel up after.

Part of me wishes that I could have gone to the Bloomsbury Theatre show as the tickets were sold before Gervais was announced so the audience are there purely for the subject matter. The Apollo gig might attract people more interested in Monkey News than Monkey DNA. Great atmosphere though I’m sure. I’m really looking forward to it.

Merry Festivus Everyone

• Wednesday, 15 October, 2008 at 0:31

Message for Jamie – I’m a little confused by your last message but are you still selling your ticket for the 19th? I’d be very interested in buying. If so please email me ‘a.fuller -at- gmail -dot- com’ Thanks! Alice

• Wednesday, 15 October, 2008 at 15:01

Sorry Alice, it says ‘not for resale’ so I got a refund. They’ll probably put it up for resale on the Bloomsbury Theatre website though, unless there was a waiting list. So keep your eyes peeled for it.

• Thursday, 6 November, 2008 at 13:43

help – anyone got a ticket (or two) for either date? I’m away on 21st when the big gig at Hammersmith takes place!!

• Tuesday, 11 November, 2008 at 15:14

News just in! About 80% of the Hammersmith tickets have been sold to date. Better hurry if you’re still procrastinating.

• Monday, 17 November, 2008 at 13:07

ive got 2 tickets for this for the 21st Dec – anyone need some?

• Monday, 17 November, 2008 at 15:14

A bit off topic, but if one bought ‘standing’ tickets for the Apollo show from Ticketmaster, are they really likely to be standing? They’re not taking the seats out for this show are they??

• Saturday, 29 November, 2008 at 20:50

60 more tickets for this show should be going on sale now.

• Monday, 1 December, 2008 at 19:47

I am desperately seeking tickets for the show on the 19th as cannot do the other dates – 2 tickets at least, preferably 3 or 4 please. Thanks in advance 🙂

• Tuesday, 2 December, 2008 at 11:15

@ Sarah – do you still have the two tickets for the 21th and are they seats, already have standing ones but would prefer to get some seats instead….

Thanks, Simone

• Thursday, 18 December, 2008 at 9:52

I had a chat with Robin about the “Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless people” show from a Christian Perspective on my faith discussion show “Unbelievable?”

You can hear it at http://www.premier.org.uk/unbelievable

Listen to the show of 13th Dec – he has a good chat with fellow comedian (and Christian) James Cary and they debate whether things like the Virgin birth could be true.

• Saturday, 20 December, 2008 at 10:02

Hi All,

Looking for 2 more tickets for the 21st show- standing or seating is fine.
    Please comment if you can help!

Milt

• Friday, 10 December, 2010 at 17:26

I have bought the tickets below but can no longer go. Anyone out there want to buy them?

9 Lessons and Carols for Godless People